Monday, September 21, 2009

Chak De India, 63 not out

Independence, the very word makes the air around me light
Sixty three years of solitude, struggle and days of cheer
Where are we? , where is the world?, are we ready?
Questions and thoughts, reverberate among the billion

Traumatic divisions, heart rending cries
Triumphant sounds of freedom at midnight
Bold faced youth and their dreams held high
A saint and an idealist , the pillars of our land

Do we believe in this concept called India?
Do we stand for our rights or do we denigrate our duties?
How much of our India, do you and I know?
Do the corridors of dollarland define our path?

I stand up for the anthem , but not for my country
I stand up for my cause, but not for my people
I love my country, as long as I am paid
Patriotism, have we buried your meaning?

The beggar wake up, from the footpaths of poverty
The ruler wakes up, not sure of his place in posterity
The family wakes up, dreaming of the child
The child wakes up, India is my playground

We did cross the barrier, the world sees my country
Did we cross that barrier for you and I to see?
Where is that feeling of my land, our home?
Good morning India, you may now rise

5 comments:

  1. Moving lines: "I stand up for the anthem, but not for my country; I stand up for my cause, but not for my people."

    Time to do some introspection!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I stand up for the anthem, but not for my country...."
    Nice lines but many don't even do that these days(including the leaders). How many Indians can recite the anthem completely?
    'Patriotism' - The word itself is confusing. Is it love for the country, because of our nativity or because we were asked to???? Isn't patriotism also a kind of racism? Does it mean that we should love Indians better than Americans or Africans? Love towards all living beings, no matter what country they are from, should be equal, right? Then why should we boast that our country is better than the other?... Enlighten me, if wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sweta, thanks for the detailed analysis!,In my purview, being proud of your country doesnt make you a racist,only when one is proud and happy with oneself, as a person, can one appreciate the other person.There is a big difference between being proud and being vain...Love all, yes, but be happy and proud of who made you what you are..have i answered the query??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite nice . . infact quite a different frame of thoughts as compared to your other writeups previously. . .

    Keep writin'

    EnZoi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @TMK: :) (WRT the comment section), Be it for the country or people, the scope and nature of belonging and gratitude is varied based on what an individual has experienced. Origins cannot be denied and we all find our respective anchors in life and that is perhaps where we eventually, in true sense, belong.

    And we can only be humble and "pay forward" all that we gained from a country or its people or our anchors.

    Love,
    Meen

    ReplyDelete